Absolutely magnificent in the summer, the Syringa Josikaea or Hungarian lilac stands out by its pretty spring bloom, pleasantly scented. With a great resistance to the cold, this plant of heathland likes in all the regions.
Native to Hungary, Ukraine and Romania, Syringa Josikaea measures 3 to 4 meters high and 2 to 3 meters wide when adult. Hardy to -30°C, this shrub with large elliptical leaves offers a bushy port. Its pretty flowering takes place from May to June. The flowers, simple and tubular, are gathered in large branched clusters from 15 to 20 cm long. Attracting pollinating insects, they have a beautiful mauve color which brings a note of softness and romanticism to the garden.
For a harmonious development, the Hungarian lilac requires an acidic and rather fresh soil. Not very demanding on the exposure, it appreciates as much the half-shade as the full sun. Syringa Josikaea can be planted either in spring or in autumn. As decorative in a hedge or in a bed as in an isolated subject, this shrub can also be grown in a large pot on the terrace or on the balcony.
- Common name : Hungarian lilac
- Family : Oleaceae
- Category : shrub
- Spread : 2 - 3 m
- Foliage : deciduous
- Color of flowers : purple
- Use : isolated - shrubbery - flowering hedge
- Soil : acid
- Habit : bushy
- Earth to use : heath earth/compost/peat
- Enemies : thrips - aphid - mite - leaf miner
- Possible diseases : root rot - canker
Expédition & livraison
How does the delivery work?
- As soon as you place your order your plants are selected
- Each order is processed individually.
- Plants are packed, staked and labeled.
- Packaging is carefully implemented to avoid any problems.
- Packages are ready to be shipped.
Our delivery methods
Shipping of our plants throughout Europe (except overseas and islands).
16 other products in the same category:
Buddleia davidii Black Knight
Spiraea Japonica Firelight
Weigela florida Ebony and Ivory®
Hibiscus syriacus Lavender Chiffon
Camellia reticulata Mary Williams
Cornus sanguinea winter beauty