Very decorative with its silvery foliage that shimmers in the wind, Tilia tomentosa has a yellow, fragrant and honey-scented bloom from the end of July to August, which delights bees and other foraging insects. It is resistant to both pollution and drought and is also distinguished by its rapid growth.
Native to the Caucasus and the eastern Mediterranean basin, the Silver Lime can withstand temperatures as low as -30°C. This majestic tree is 10 to 12 metres high and grows to 8 to 10 metres at the age of 20, then 25 to 30 metres high and grows to 20 to 25 metres at maturity. Tilia tomentosa has a pyramidal, upright and very dense habit. The bark of its smooth trunk, which is a characteristic grey colour, cracks naturally with age. Deciduous in winter, from mid-April onwards the Silver Lime is adorned with beautiful heart-shaped green leaves with a silvery-white underside and a velvety feel, which turn yellow in autumn.
Ideal for large spaces or in rows, Tilia tomentosa appreciates neutral, rich, moist soil exposed to sun or part shade. This tree can be pruned very well.
- Common name : Silver lime
- Family : Tiliaceae
- Category : tree
- Spread : 8 to 10 m at 20 years then 20 to 25 m adult
- Foliage : deciduous
- Color of flowers : yellow
- Use : isolated - shrubberry - alignment
- Soil : all
- Habit : pyramidal
- Growth : Fast
- Earth to use : universal potting soil/garden soil/compost
- Enemies : Caterpillars, dictylas, aphids, spiders and Japanese beetles
- Possible diseases : powdery mildew, bacterial leaf spots and anthracnose
- Date of last repotting : 15/01/22
Expédition & livraison
How does the delivery work?
- As soon as you place your order your plants are selected
- Each order is processed individually.
- Plants are packed, staked and labeled.
- Packaging is carefully implemented to avoid any problems.
- Packages are ready to be shipped.
Our delivery methods
Shipping of our plants throughout Europe (except overseas and islands).
16 other products in the same category:
Parrotia persica Persian Spire®