Hazelnut Tonda di Giffoni
Corylus avellana Tonda di Giffoni
The hazelnut Tonda di Giffoni is a vigorous variety of hazelnut that is very resistant to disease. Very high productivity, this hazelnut tree is cultivated in the south of Italy, in the region of Salerno, where it is widely acclaimed for the production and marketing of hazelnuts.
Popular and easy to maintain variety, the Hazelnut Tonda di Giffoni reaches an adult height of 2 to 3 m and spreads over more or less 3 m, very resistant to cold, it supports negative temperatures down to -30 ° C. Be careful, however, because the early flowering may be sensitive to late frosts. Also a decorative tree outside its productive period, in winter it shows its branches from which hang long catkins, its 6 cm yellow male flowers and its female flowers,kinds of buds from which thin red filaments escape.Its flowering period is early, it is from January to March. The Hazelnut Tonda di Giffoni is very productive, it gives an abundance of hazelnuts of good size, round, easy to prune. Their flesh is very white, very fragrant and firm. The harvest is from early September until mid-October.
It can be pollinated using other varieties such as Fertile de Coutard, Segorbe, Tonda Romana, Tonda Gentile delle Langhe or even Nocchione, itself an excellent pollinator, it can pollinate all varieties. After two to three years you will already have a good return.
Corylus avellana Tonda di Grifoni will thrive when planted in a deep hole in well-drained soil. By mixing garden soil, potting soil and compost, the roots are encouraged to take root deeply. Of fairly rapid growth, it will quickly form greedy hedges of bushy screens or can flourish at the back of a bed. It can be pruned to your liking in late autumn outside the frost period.
- Common name : Hazelnut Tonda di Giffoni
- Family : Betulaceae
- Category : fruit tree
- Spread : 3 m
- Foliage : deciduous
- Fruit : large round fruit easy to peel with very white flesh, firm and very fragrant.
- Harvest : early September-mid-October
- Use : shrubbery - free or fruit hedges
- Soil : rich and well-drained
- Habit : upright
- Growth : Fast
- Earth to use : universal potting soil/garden soil/compost
- Enemies : Aphids , Caterpillars , Gall mites
- Possible diseases : resistant to diseases
Expédition & livraison
How does the delivery work?
- As soon as you place your order your plants are selected
- Each order is processed individually.
- Plants are packed, staked and labeled.
- Packaging is carefully implemented to avoid any problems.
- Packages are ready to be shipped.
Our delivery methods
Shipping of our plants throughout Europe (except overseas and islands).
16 other products in the same category:
Malus domestica Double Belle Fleur
Malus domestica Apistar®
Prunus avium Bigarreau Lapin
Malus Domestica Reine des Reinettes
Prunus Avium Sylvia
Punica Granatum Fina Tendral
Prunus Persica Nucipersica Lord Napier
- En culture
Mespilus Germanica Royal
Citrus Australasica - Microcitrus australasica
Citrus Latifolia Tahiti
Prunus Domestica Mirabelle Ruby®