Eucomis Pole-evansii, or Pineapple lily, is a bulbous plant native to South Africa. This pretty, fast-growing plant has a very long flowering period with an exotic appearance: its flowers appear from July to the end of September and look surprisingly like a pineapple. A long stem hosts small cream to greenish inflorescences at the top in spikes of nearly 60 cm, which make up an original floral spike, delicately placed on light green ribboned foliage that sometimes turns purple.
The Pineapple lily is not very hardy, so it is advisable to bring the bulb inside during the winter period and to mulch the plant to protect it from heavy frost. Very easy to grow, it is advisable to plant it in spring, in a warm and sunny area in a rich, humusy and well-drained soil. An adult plant can reach a height of 1.80 metres with a spread of about 80 cm.
Eucomis Pole-evansii requires little maintenance and is highly resistant to disease and insects. To encourage its development, it is recommended that it be watered without excess in dry weather and that compost be deposited at its foot at the end of spring. It is a plant that does not require a lot of water, but wet soil can damage its sensitive roots.
Plant the bulb 20 cm deep in April-May (depending on the region and the risk of late frosts) in ordinary soil mixed with gravel (for drainage) enriched with compost or manure.Even if the bulb can withstand -8°C in good conditions and protection, it is advisable to remove it from the ground at the end of October and beginning of November for a dry and frost-free winter storage, for example in the cellar.
- Common name : Pineapple lily
- Family : Liliaceae
- Category : perennial
- Spread : 0,80 m
- Foliage : deciduous
- Color of flowers : white
- Use : isolated - bed - pot
- Soil : well-draining but rich soil
- Growth : Fast
- Earth to use : universal potting soil/garden soil/compost
- Date of last repotting : 15/02/22
- Remarks : remove from the ground at the end of October at the beginning of November for a dry and frost-free wintering
- Photo taken : Kalmthout Arboretum Botanical Garden
Expédition & livraison
How does the delivery work?
- As soon as you place your order your plants are selected
- Each order is processed individually.
- Plants are packed, staked and labeled.
- Packaging is carefully implemented to avoid any problems.
- Packages are ready to be shipped.
Our delivery methods
Shipping of our plants throughout Europe (except overseas and islands).
8 other products in the same category:
Miscanthus sinensis Strictus
Miscanthus sinensis Kleine Silberspinne
Miscanthus sinensis Gracillimus
Fatsia japonica Spider's web