The Euonymus Europaeus or European spindle-tree is, as its name suggests, a shrub of European origin. It is a very attractive subject, thanks to its very decorative fruiting, as well as the scarlet colour of its foliage in autumn. The greenish-yellow flowering, which appears discreetly in April-May, is followed by pink bishop's cap-shaped fruits opening onto bright orange seeds.
This variety has a bushy habit, with medium green deciduous foliage, borne on quadrangular branches marked with lines along their length at all four corners.
The European spindle is very hardy (-25°C to -30°C) and not very demanding in terms of soil type. It prefers to be placed in a sunny or semi-shaded area. When fully grown, it can reach a height of 3 to 6 metres and a circumference of about 3 to 5 metres. It is an excellent choice for a free hedge or as part of a country bed, its decorative fruits are much appreciated by birds.
Euonymus Europaeus is a very easy to grow and disease resistant plant that requires little care. Quite sensitive to drought in the first year, it is advisable to mulch its base and pay attention to watering in dry weather and during the summer season, after which it tolerates it very well. The European spindle-tree appreciates a light pruning after flowering, to rebalance its habit and encourage the appearance of new shoots.
Planted alone or in a bed, it will catch the eye with its beautiful coloured fruits and flamboyant red foliage in autumn.
- Common name : European spindle
- Family : Célastraceae
- Category : shrub
- Spread : 3 - 5 m
- Foliage : deciduous
- Color of flowers : yellow green
- Fruit : Pink and orange capsules appreciated by birds
- Use : isolated, bonzaï, group
- Soil : all
- Habit : bushy
- Earth to use : universal potting soil/garden soil/compost
- Density per m² : 1
- Enemies : Chenille - cochineal - otiorhynque
- Possible diseases : Mildew - leaf spot
- Date of last repotting : 15/01/23
- Photo taken : Robert Lenoir Arboretum
Expédition & livraison
How does the delivery work?
- As soon as you place your order your plants are selected
- Each order is processed individually.
- Plants are packed, staked and labeled.
- Packaging is carefully implemented to avoid any problems.
- Packages are ready to be shipped.
Our delivery methods
Shipping of our plants throughout Europe (except overseas and islands).
16 other products in the same category:
Malus toringo Brouwers Beauty
- Pick up on site
Sambucus nigra Milk Chocolate
Fatsia japonica Spider's web