- In cultivation
Himalayan honeysuckle Purple Rain
Leycesteria Fromosa Purple Rain
Himalayan honeysuckle Purple rain is a variety of Leycesteria Fromosa which is characterized by its purple-coloured branches. This shrub has stems that bend with the weight of the flowers and fruits. Its leaves are oval, first purple when they hatch, then green with purple edges.
Leycesteria Fromosa Purple Rain produces small white flowers in clusters from July to October, surrounded by dark purple bracts. These bracts are darker than those of the simple Leycesteria Fromosa and bring out the white of the flowers. After flowering, purple, shiny, round berries appear, they turn black when ripe. These berries attract birds and pheasants.
Himalayan honeysuckle Purple rain is a shrub that measures between 1.50 and 2 meters in height and width. It resists cold down to -20°C. It prefers moist, rich and draining soils, as well as exposure to sun or partial shade. It is preferably planted in spring, leaving 80 cm to 1 meter between each plant. Water it well the first summer, then if necessary in subsequent years if it is very dry. It can be pruned lightly after flowering to give it a more compact and dense shape, but this reduces berry production. Leycesteria Fromosa Purple Rain can also be cut back to ground level at the end of winter to stimulate its growth. If frost burns the stems in winter, they regrow from the stump in spring without problem. It is advisable to protect the stump with a mulch of at least 15 cm from the fall.
Himalayan honeysuckle Purple rain is a shrub that beautifies gardens with its bright colours. It is planted in flower beds, free hedges or along a wall accompanying other flowering shrubs such as deutzia, abelia or philadelphus.
- Common name : Himalayan honeysuckle - Flowering nutmeg
- Family : Caprifoliaceae
- Category : shrub
- Spread : 1/2M
- Foliage : deciduous
- Color of flowers : pinkish white, red purple bracts
- Fruit : black berries, much appreciated by pheasants and birds, persisting until autumn
- Use : isolated - shrubbery - flowering hedges
- Soil : rich and well-drained
- Habit : upright
- Growth : Fast
- Earth to use : universal potting soil/garden soil/compost
- Enemies : nothing to report
- Possible diseases : resistant to diseases
Expédition & livraison
How does the delivery work?
- As soon as you place your order your plants are selected
- Each order is processed individually.
- Plants are packed, staked and labeled.
- Packaging is carefully implemented to avoid any problems.
- Packages are ready to be shipped.
Our delivery methods
Shipping of our plants throughout Europe (except overseas and islands).
16 other products in the same category:
Hibiscus syriacus Woodbridge
Hibiscus syriacus Starburst Chiffon
Cornus alba Siberian Pearls
Spiraea Japonica Anthony Waterer
Azalea Knap-Hill Mary Poppins