Liquidambar styraciflua unfurls majestic foliage. Adult, it stands very straight at about thirty meters and spreads its beautiful balanced antlers over 8 to 15 m. Its lobed leaves are reminiscent of those of the plane tree and the maple. Lapsed, Liquidambar styraciflua will abandon this elegant foliage with gusto as it bursts into flames of vermeil, gold and copper. Its growth is slow, but the young subjects already offer this autumnal splendour.
American Sweetgum pinkish cream bloom is less exuberant. It takes place in April and has the particularity of developing both male flowers, gathered in small clusters, and female flowers, with a globular shape. These will turn brownish and pungent as the seeds ripen.
Liquidambars owe their name to the amber resinous liquid extracted from their trunk. Native to the southeastern United States and Central America, Liquidambar styraciflua is also called "Sweetgum" after its particular resin. Used in various fields, sweetgum was one of the ingredients of the first chewing gums. The British thus gave the vernacular name of "Sweet gum" to liquidambar styraciflua.
Liquidambar styraciflua appreciates moist but drained soils. You will plant it in isolation, with good sunshine, in slightly acidic soil. Your American Sweetgum will ask for nothing more. It is not subject to disease or insect attacks and has excellent hardiness (-25°C).
- Common name : American Sweetgum
- Family : Hamamélidaceae
- Category : tree
- Spread : 15 m
- Foliage : deciduous
- Color of flowers : cream
- Use : Isolated, alignment,bonzaï
- Soil : Moderately fertile, well drained - deep soil - neutral to acidic
- Habit : conical
- Earth to use : 50% universal potting soil and 50% heath earth
- Enemies : nothing to report
- Possible diseases : resistant to diseases
- Photo taken : Botanical garden of Meise - Belgium
Expédition & livraison
How does the delivery work?
- As soon as you place your order your plants are selected
- Each order is processed individually.
- Plants are packed, staked and labeled.
- Packaging is carefully implemented to avoid any problems.
- Packages are ready to be shipped.
Our delivery methods
Shipping of our plants throughout Europe (except overseas and islands).
16 other products in the same category:
Castanea sativa Marigoule
Castanea sativa Aspleniifolia
Castanea sativa variegata