Berberis Julianae brings a lot of character to the garden. Its spines and tough, serrated leaves make it a perfect defensive hedge, but its prickly nature is far from its only feature.
Its brilliant foliage lasts all year round. Usually dark green, it blushes brightly at the first cold weather and adds vitality to the winter scene. Wintergreen barberry or Chinese barberry blooms in spring in small, fragrant bunches, and the nectar from the yellow flowers with red dots attracts bees and butterflies. This flowering is often repeated in autumn, followed by the appearance of bluish berries that turn black when ripe. Birds enjoy these small, highly acidic and astringent fruits, which were once made into jam. The still green fruits were also preserved in vinegar, like capers. The vernacular name barberry probably comes from this condiment use.
Native to the mountains of China, Wintergreen barberry or Chinese barberry can easily withstand temperatures of -20 °C. It will thrive in drained, slightly acidic soils, but will also adapt to other conditions. It is happy with any kind of exposure, but to ensure a good flowering. It is best to avoid excessive shade and wind.
Berberis Julianae can grow up to 3 m high, but it is slow growing. You can easily keep it at the desired height. It is a very accommodating plant and does not require any special care.
- Common name : Wintergreen barberry or Chinese barberry
- Family : Berbéridaceae
- Category : shrub
- Spread : 3 m
- Foliage : evergreen
- Color of flowers : yellow
- Use : rock garden - isolated - shruberry - hedge
- Soil : all
- Habit : bushy
- Earth to use : universal potting soil/garden soil/compost
- Enemies : aphid
- Possible diseases : powdery mildew - leaf spots
Expédition & livraison
How does the delivery work?
- As soon as you place your order your plants are selected
- Each order is processed individually.
- Plants are packed, staked and labeled.
- Packaging is carefully implemented to avoid any problems.
- Packages are ready to be shipped.
Our delivery methods
Shipping of our plants throughout Europe (except overseas and islands).
16 other products in the same category:
Cornus alba Siberian Pearls