- In cultivation
Purple chokeberry Viking
Aronia prunifolia Viking
The Aronia prunifolia Viking or Purple chokeberry Viking is a deciduous shrub which produces beautiful clusters of white flowers in April-May, these are self-fertile and honey-producing. They are followed by edible black berries, larger and less tart than those of the type species. Its leaves take on orange-red to purple-red hues in autumn, which gives it decorative interest all year round. It is a hardy shrub, resistant to diseases and parasites, which adapts to all types of soil and exposure.
To grow Aronia prunifolia Viking in the garden, you must choose a sunny or partial shade location, and provide regular watering, especially in periods of drought. It is also necessary to provide it with organic fertilizer in spring and autumn, to encourage its growth and flowering. Pruning is not essential, but you can remove dead or damaged branches after flowering, and rejuvenate the plant every 3 or 4 years by removing a third of the oldest branches.
Purple chokeberry Viking fits easily into the garden, whether isolated, in a free hedge or in a clump. It can go well with other flowering or fruiting shrubs, such as currant bushes, forsythias or spireas. It also attracts birds and pollinating insects, which contributes to the biodiversity of the garden. To protect the Aronia prunifolia Viking from the cold of winter, simply mulch its base with dead leaves or compost, which will also provide it with organic matter.
- Common name : Purple chokeberry Viking
- Family : Rosaceae
- Category : fruit tree
- Spread : 1M50
- Foliage : deciduous
- Fruit : edible, clusters of large black fruits less tangy with a blackcurrant flavor
- Harvest : from the end of August
- Use : shrubbery - free or fruit hedges
- Soil : acid
- Habit : compact
- Earth to use : heath earth/compost/peat
- Density per m² : 1 per m² or every 80 cm for row planting
- Enemies : nothing to report
- Possible diseases : resistant to diseases
- Reproduction : self-fertile
Expédition & livraison
How does the delivery work?
- As soon as you place your order your plants are selected
- Each order is processed individually.
- Plants are packed, staked and labeled.
- Packaging is carefully implemented to avoid any problems.
- Packages are ready to be shipped.
Our delivery methods
Shipping of our plants throughout Europe (except overseas and islands).