The European hop-hornbeam "Ostrya carpinifolia" is a small tree easy, original and decorative at the same time, it starts the year in the spring by producing long graceful yellow kittens, its trunk is smooth, then unlike its cousin the common hornbeam it is crevasse over time, giving it a rustic appearance, the foliage is similar, but the notorious difference lies in its decorative fruiting that resembles the fruit of the hops, which brings a certain originality to the garden.
The European hop-hornbeam is mainly found in the Central European mountain range, from the Mediterranean coast to Switzerland, which explains its resistance to the cold.
The European hop-hornbeam is the ideal tree of the dry gardens of the south, because unlike the common hornbeam it has the ability to withstand the dry summer periods, he loves sunny situations, and rich, clay or even dry limestone soils.
The European hop-hornbeam resists disease and requires no care, no need to prune.
Used in isolated alignment or screen hedge.
- Common name : European Hop-Hornbeam
- Family : Betulaceae
- Category : tree
- Spread : 15 m
- Foliage : deciduous
- Color of flowers : green
- Use : isolated - alignment - screen hedge
- Soil : fertile
- Habit : conical
- Earth to use : universal potting soil/garden soil/compost
- Enemies : nothing to report
- Possible diseases : resistant to diseases
- Date of last repotting : 15/01/22
Expédition & livraison
How does the delivery work?
- As soon as you place your order your plants are selected
- Each order is processed individually.
- Plants are packed, staked and labeled.
- Packaging is carefully implemented to avoid any problems.
- Packages are ready to be shipped.
Our delivery methods
Shipping of our plants throughout Europe (except overseas and islands).
16 other products in the same category:
Gleditsia triacanthos inermis Sunburst
Cornus controversa variégata