Purple chokeberry Viking
Aronia prunifolia Viking
Swedish self-fertile variety resulting from a cross between arbutifolia and melanocarpa, Aronia prunifolia Viking or Purple chokeberry Viking is a small shrub with a bushy habit, selected for its fruits larger than the type species and for their taste quality (they are less acidic than the type species). It has several decorative advantages: its dark green foliage which ignites in the fall turning purple red and its white flowers spotted with pale pink, very fragrant and honey-bearing.
At adult size, the Purple chokeberry Viking can measure 2 m in height and 1.50 m in width and is suitable for hedges, beds or isolated. In May, many bouquets of pinkish-white flowers open, very fragrant and very honey-bearing, giving way to large black berries with a taste similar to blackcurrant. These fruits, which are harvested at the end of August, are rich in vitamins and anti-oxidants and are eaten in the form of jelly, syrup, jam or in pastries.
Undemanding, Aronia prunifolia Viking is a hardy plant down to -26 ° C that resists disease and pests. If it adapts to limestone soils, it will develop better in acidic soil, rich in humus, cool and well drained. Preferably install it in the sun or in partial shade.
- Common name : Purple chokeberry Viking
- Family : Rosaceae
- Category : fruit tree
- Spread : 1M50
- Foliage : deciduous
- Fruit : edible, clusters of large black fruits less tangy with a blackcurrant flavor
- Harvest : from the end of August
- Use : shrubbery - free or fruit hedges
- Soil : acid
- Habit : compact
- Earth to use : heath earth/compost/peat
- Density per m² : 1 per m² or every 80 cm for row planting
- Enemies : nothing to report
- Possible diseases : resistant to diseases
- Reproduction : self-fertile
Expédition & livraison
How does the delivery work?
- As soon as you place your order your plants are selected
- Each order is processed individually.
- Plants are packed, staked and labeled.
- Packaging is carefully implemented to avoid any problems.
- Packages are ready to be shipped.
Our delivery methods
Shipping of our plants throughout Europe (except overseas and islands).
16 other products in the same category:
Mespilus Germanica Royal
Citrus Medica Sarcodactylis
Cydonia oblonga Rea's Mammoth
Malus domestica Elstar
Malus domestica Redcats