Chinese fringe tree
Chionanthus retusus gained its acclaim in Asia, where it originated. Its magnificent fragrant and honey-bearing flowers with very fine, pure white petals spring from May to June, covering all of the branches. Gathered in long, dense panicles of about twenty centimeters, they illustrate its common name of Chinese Fringe Tree. Fruits formed of oval drupes of blue-violet color succeed them. Its particularity is its bark which exfoliates with age. Its dark green, glossy oblong foliage lights up to a golden yellow hue in fall.
The Chinese Fringe Tree has a multi-trunk and has a spreading habit that can reach 3 to 4 m in wingspan. Chionanthus retusus can reach up to 6 m in height in favorable conditions. Very resistant, it does not fear pollution, easily resists diseases and harmful insects and withstands drought and winter temperatures (down to -22 ° C).
Planted in the sun or partial shade and sheltered from cold drafts, Chionanthus retusus prefers a rather acidic, humid and cool soil. The Chinese fringe tree naturally finds its place in a flowering hedge, in rows or in isolation to ensure the spectacle of its brilliant white bloom.
- Common name : Chinese fringe tree
- Family : Oleaceae
- Category : shrub
- Spread : 3 - 4 m
- Foliage : deciduous
- Color of flowers : white
- Use : isolated - shrubbery - flowering hedge
- Soil : deep - humus - fresh and acid
- Habit : Spreading
- Earth to use : heath earth/compost/peat
- Enemies : nothing to report
- Possible diseases : resistant to diseases
- Date of last repotting : 20/04/21
- Reproduction : dioecious
- Photo taken : Botanical garden of Meise
Expédition & livraison
How does the delivery work?
- As soon as you place your order your plants are selected
- Each order is processed individually.
- Plants are packed, staked and labeled.
- Packaging is carefully implemented to avoid any problems.
- Packages are ready to be shipped.
Our delivery methods
Shipping of our plants throughout Europe (except overseas and islands).
16 other products in the same category:
Philadelphus virginalis Schneesturm
Magnolia Loebneri Leonard Messel
Frangula alnus Ron Williams
Cornus alba Gouchaultii
Hydrangea Serrata Bluebird
Camellia japonica Margherita Coleoni