Swamp Spanish oak
Quercus palustris or Swamp Spanish oak is a very beautiful tree with smooth bark cracking with age, native to the eastern United States. Its deeply indented deciduous foliage offers a superb red fall color. Fast growing, it is of interest for its longevity and for the use of its wood in furniture.
The leaves of the Swamp Spanish oak are green and shiny in summer and are characterized by a deep clipping into 5-7 pointed lobes. In the fall, they take on a bright scarlet red hue and once dead they stay in place for a good part of the winter. It blooms in May. The flowers give way in September-October to spherical acorns of about 2 cm.
At maturity, Quercus palustris reaches 20 to 25 m in height and 15 to 18 m in width. It tolerates temporarily flooded soils and drought, but prefers neutral to acidic, cool, humus-rich, well-drained soil, exposed to sun or partial shade. He dreads limestone. Very resistant, it can withstand temperatures down to -24 ° C.
A majestic tree with a regular pyramidal habit, planted in isolation, the Swamp Spanish oak will dazzle you with its glowing hues when autumn comes. It will also be perfect in alignment.
- Common name : Swamp Spanish oak
- Family : Fagaceae
- Category : tree
- Spread : 15/18M
- Foliage : deciduous
- Fruit : spherical acorns of about 2 cm
- Use : isolated - shrubberry - alignment
- Soil : acid
- Habit : pyramidal
- Earth to use : heath earth/compost/peat
- Enemies : cynips - aphid
- Possible diseases : armillary - wilting - scab - powdery mildew - lead
- Date of last repotting : 15/01/22
- Reproduction : monoecious
- Photo taken : Robert Lenoir Arboretum
Expédition & livraison
How does the delivery work?
- As soon as you place your order your plants are selected
- Each order is processed individually.
- Plants are packed, staked and labeled.
- Packaging is carefully implemented to avoid any problems.
- Packages are ready to be shipped.
Our delivery methods
Shipping of our plants throughout Europe (except overseas and islands).