The Juglans Regia or Walnut is a relatively common tree from Eurasia. Its wood is highly sought after for its strength, and its fruit is edible and rich in oil. The Walnut has a light grey trunk, deeply grooved over the years, and branches that form a semi-open crown. Its deciduous foliage consists of 9 leaflets, the terminal one being longer than the others, which give off aromatic scents. Its flowers are grouped in hanging greenish catkins and its fruits, the nuts, are protected by a shell in a green drupe.
The Walnut has a lifespan of 200 to 400 years and can reach a height of 15 to 25 metres and a circumference of 15 metres when fully grown. It flowers from mid-April to early May, producing catkins that give way to good-sized nuts to be harvested from mid-September to early October. Self-fertile, it will have a better yield if it is close to other walnut trees and benefit from cross-pollination.
Its hardiness allows it to withstand temperatures of -20°C. It is recommended that Juglans Regia be planted in rich, neutral to chalky soil with a sunny exposure. It requires special attention in June with sufficient but moderate watering to encourage the development of the fruit. It is very easy to care for, simply prune the dead wood at the end of autumn.
- Common name : Walnut, Persian walnut, English walnut, common walnut ...
- Family : Juglandaceae
- Category : fruit tree
- Spread : 15 m
- Foliage : deciduous
- Fruit : edible nuts
- Harvest : mid-September to early October
- Use : isolated-orchard
- Soil : rich and well-drained
- Habit : Spreading
- Earth to use : universal potting soil/garden soil/compost
- Enemies : aphid - phytopte
- Possible diseases : leaf spot - Coral disease - armillary
- Date of last repotting : 15/01/23
- Reproduction : monoecious
Expédition & livraison
How does the delivery work?
- As soon as you place your order your plants are selected
- Each order is processed individually.
- Plants are packed, staked and labeled.
- Packaging is carefully implemented to avoid any problems.
- Packages are ready to be shipped.
Our delivery methods
Shipping of our plants throughout Europe (except overseas and islands).
16 other products in the same category:
Queen of the pippin apple tree
Malus Domestica Reine des Reinettes
Redcurrant Jonkheer van Tets
Ribes rubrum Jonkheer van Tets
Plum tree Belle de Louvain
Prunus Domestica Belle de Louvain
Citrus Latifolia Tahiti
Fig tree Brown Turkey
Ficus carica Brown Turkey
Mirabelle de Nancy Plum tree
Prunus domestica Mirabelle de Nancy
Pear tree Obelisk® « columnar »
Pyrus communis Obelisk®
Fig tree Precoce de Dalmatie
Ficus Carica Précoce de Dalmatie